Car Blog Banner

Car Blog Banner
3 of Diamonds - Mitsubishi GTO (3000GT) Project Blog

Monday 16 May 2016

How to Sleepy Eye/Lazy Eye a Mitsubishi GTO/3000gt

I mentioned I wanted to try this soon, but I didn't realise it would only take me 30 seconds to do... (cue the that's what she said jokes)



So what is Sleepy Eye or Lazy Eye? This is where your pop-up headlights aren't fully open, but aren't closed either, it's a paradox a bit like a bar just before kick out, the doors open, but are you hell gonna get served.... although funnily enough it can make your car look like it's had one too many beers... and the rest!

Sleepy Eye GTO

This is probably the easiest mod I will ever do to the car... It doesn't really count as a mod, just something cool to do for pics with pop-up headlights really. Beats the googly eyes I keep seeing hairdressers put on their mx5's  (that's what we call a "miata" to those across the pond by the way).

The first step, which I'm sure will come as a shock to most, is to open the bonnet.

GTO engine bay. Headlight height controls circled. 

In the pic above I have circled the "headlight height control dials". I'm sure this will have a more technical and slightly less made up title, but as my manual is in Japanese I'm gonna go with that for now... it's catchy. Up close it looks like this:

Dial with cover

 It is a rubber cover which hides the actual "headlight height control dial" underneath. This should pull off easy enough.

Actual dial
 
With your headlights popped up, turn this dial the opposite direction to the arrow (anti-clockwise) and the headlight will start to lower itself. It's that easy! I found the cover to the dial handy as a gauge to use to ensure the headlights were at the level, although the cock eyed look might appeal to some people.

GTO with 1 Lazy Eye
And on that note I'll just leave this here:


I prefer the look of the Sleepy Eye on the GTO without the lens below the headlight itself, sadly this is the sidelight and I probably wouldn't get away with doing a delete on this in the UK, not that anything seems to ever get done about those driving about with only 1 headlight, but it would be just my luck to get screwed over it, so I think I may nightshade that somewhere down the line. 

Below is what it looks like with both sides done for now though.




This wasn't all I got up to with the GTO this weekend however, in my next entry (hopefully later this week) I'll be removing this:




If you would like to laugh at my lack of progress in real time you can follow me on social sites by clicking the links below or search the @s :

Instagram   @3ofdiamonds_GTO


Twitter   @3ofdiamonds_GTO

Facebook   @3ofdiamondsGTO

No comments:

Post a Comment