Car Blog Banner

Car Blog Banner
3 of Diamonds - Mitsubishi GTO (3000GT) Project Blog

Friday 20 May 2016

K&N 57i install on a Mitsubishi GTO (3000gt)

At the end of my last entry I alluded to the removal of the air box, although what it was might not have been that obvious due to its JDM AF label. First on the agenda was a little tidy under the bonnet. 

This is a relatively old picture, it's from when I first got the car, I wasn't planning on doing this today, but couldn't resist once I got started so apologies for not getting a pic in better light.

Pic from 'Winter nights by headlights' meme I did last year
You can see that under the bonnet the deadening is not in good condition at all, it is frayed and falling apart. So do I replace or do I..... who am I kidding, sound deadening delete all the way!

Close up shows clip, but also how bad the condition of the sound deadening really was 

Simply held on with these clips, they came off with ease by hand, but used pliers anyway for the most part to save any chips in the paint. I saved the clips in best condition to reattach the heat shield.
After sound deadening delete

Looking much better already! I think I'm going to keep at the engine bay tidy up, little by little over the summer, as it would be a bit of a beast of a job in one go! Especially with not trusting the electrics enough to get a jet wash in there! 


The aftermath! more than happy to get this discarded! On to the intake!

The first step is to disconnect the negative side of the battery, working on the car alone the last thing I wanted was a ss-ss-shock!
Yes, it's a Pokemon reference, yes, I am a geek...

 As my car is a unicorn in among the GTO/3000gt as it is both twin turbo and manual, the vacuum line for the transmission is then disconnected. Followed by the Mass Air Flow Sensor Plug.

MAF and tranny vacuum line
The lid of the air box is then un-clipped, and the hose clamp in the above picture loosened slightly. The air box lid and MAF sensor will then come out as one unit.

Air box lid with MAF sensor attached, connected by 4 bolts on each corner of the MAF

When I removed the air filter I was a little shocked, as the car was supposed to be serviced and MOT'd in July last year, and sat on a dealers forecourt from then till I bought it in September/October time.




Not only was the filter packed with leaves and stones, but the rubber was also perished and split along the sides. Cracking job with the service there... The car must have been able to breathe about as well as a life long chain smoker on a stroll up Mount Kilamanjaro. (Babyshambles gonna be stuck in my head all night now)


When you remove the filter you will then be able to unbolt the air box, and then it will pull straight out.



Once the box is out you are left with a decent amount of space for the new intake to fit into. The mass-air sensor can then be unbolted from the air box lid.

PAUSE

I would like a take a moment to pause here and reflect on this step. Of every step in the process this was the hardest by far! 3 of the nuts came out no bother at all! But the backing plate of the last one just spun, tearing chunks out the plastic.



I ended up waiting for Mrs 3oD to get home, and using my rotary tool to trim away the excess plastic and using a 14mm spanner to hold the backing plate whilst Mrs 3oD turned the 10mm nut on the other side. Even with the combined brute force of the two of us we still had to stop for a break after 10 minutes of wrestling with it... at which point I asked Mrs 3oD which direction she was turning the spanner..... it then came right off.... *Face-palm*

Couldn't resist the Ash face-palm after using him for the shock pic earlier!

The sensor is the connected to the filter adapter using the nylock nuts from the intake kit. and should look something like this.

Almost done!
Be sure to use the short bolts on the top, and long ones on the bottom. The long bolts then have the brackets attached to them, loosely for now. This is then slid back into the intake hose in the original location from which it was removed and the hose clamp tightened. The brackets should be maneuvered over the bolts used for the stock air box, and then nylock nuts applied. once everything fits nicely together it should then all be tightened down.


The MAF sensor is plugged back in and the vacuum line reconnected (if required). The new 57i filter is slid onto the adapter with a hose clamp and tighten down.


The battery is then reconnected. Being careful not to jump if it sparks slightly and drop the bolt for the connection to the negative and have it NOT hit the floor. I didn't do that.... honest.... it didn't take 20 minutes to retrieve from the depths of the engine bay at all... OK... maybe that happened a little.

The car is then ready to go with its sexy new intake fitted. As it sits in the location of the stock box, it still gets the same good supply of cold air the stock box did, but can now make much more use of it! It also has the added bonus of sounding even better! I tried to take a video of the turbo noises with the new intake, but only had my phone to hand which didn't do it justice, so that will probably follow later.

Check out my last entry - How to Sleepy Eye / Lazy Eye a Mitsubishi GTO / 3000gt


If you would like to laugh at my lack of progress in real time you can follow me on social sites by clicking the links below or search the @s :

Instagram   @3ofdiamonds_GTO


Twitter   @3ofdiamonds_GTO

Facebook   @3ofdiamondsGTO

No comments:

Post a Comment