Car Blog Banner

Car Blog Banner
3 of Diamonds - Mitsubishi GTO (3000GT) Project Blog

Tuesday 5 January 2016

Mitsubishi GTO (3000gt) 0-60 Time - Baseline

So, this week.... It's been a long one. It may be a couple of weeks before I get to start properly wrenching on the GTO. I was hoping to start before going back to work after Christmas, but alas, I had a fight with a flight of stairs and unfortunately came off worse.

The Mr Bump mug seems appropriate at the moment


The worst thing was that it was not caused by alcohol or anything fun like that, it was simply carrying decorations back upstairs following the end of the festive season. Luckily before this incident I did manage to set myself a baseline 0-60 acceleration time.

To set the time I used an app on my phone which allowed me to record a (hopefully) more accurate time. I have cut the video rather short, showing literally just the run itself. I did do a talky bit after with my passenger but realised I really hate the sound of my voice on recordings!

Unfortunately as I live in the hills, I can try these runs on a straight road, or on a flat road. Sadly it isn't exactly possible to have both in my area. As a result this was taken going slightly uphill, but to mitigate this in future I will do following runs in the same location to avoid it looking like I've improved more than I actually have.

Baseline 0-60 run in the GTO

The time set for the 0-60 was 6.5 seconds. When I first set this time I wasn't quite sure whether I was happy or disappointed with it. On one hand the car did it in 5 seconds flat when new, but on the other it is still pretty much stock (with the exception of the exhaust) and is now around 25 years old, so it has not lost that much of an edge and will still keep pace with most hot hatches, excluding the new breed of 300bhp hatches such as the new Focus RS, Leon Cupra and Audi RS3 etc.

When  I ran 6.8 a few weeks ago in really bad weather (link here) I was sure the car had more in it, and in a way I still do. I think at the moment the car is limited by bad tyres, they are barely legal and on their way out. Whilst my hand has been strapped up I have been out alloy shopping so when I get my new wheels I will run the test again before making other changes... and whilst my hand heals. 

To keep up to date you can follow me on social sites by clicking the links below or search the @s :

Instagram   @3ofdiamonds_GTO

Twitter   @3ofdiamonds_GTO

Facebook   @3ofdiamondsGTO

No comments:

Post a Comment