Car Blog Banner

Car Blog Banner
3 of Diamonds - Mitsubishi GTO (3000GT) Project Blog

Tuesday 29 March 2016

BMW 320D M Sport - Review

Ok, so this is my first attempt at a car review, I haven't even tried to review the Abarth or Mitsubishi, so if this attempt is a bit of a fail, or a bit.... well.... crap, let me know in the comments and I'll stay clear of doing this in future!

BMW 320D M Sport


So the other day I got the chance to test drive a BMW 320D M Sport. I was contemplating getting it as a new daily to replace the Abarth. I suppose with it being a BMW, the obvious place to start is with cliches. Yes it had indicators and no it did not make me want to buy a bluetooth headset to scream down. Can I get started properly now? Good. 


So my first serious point does actually take me back to the indicators. I really didn't like them.... 

BMW Indicators, they do exist!
The indicators didn't function like a traditional stalk, rather felt like they were a button which hinged where the stalk gets fat half way along. It didn't feel nice to use, and gave no feeling that the indicator had flicked on, which I'm guessing is why BMW installed the loudest indicating click noise  to go with it, just to let you know that light was flashing, I didn't mind this too much in the first 5 minutes of driving, then it started to get old.... real old, real quick. I began to wonder if that's why BMW drivers just don't use their signals?


Indicators aside it was probably one of the best driving cars I've ever been behind the wheel of (and I've been behind a few). The cars I have owned in the past have all been shouty and angry (yes, even the Abarth when it's in sport mode). This car wasn't. Even in M mode it didn't shout as loud as I expected, but it felt good. It made me feel almost grown-up. Is this a sign I'm getting old?

BMW Drivers POV


 I think part of that, as you can see from the above picture, is the automatic transmission. I have always hated them in the past with a passion. Automatic transmissions were in my eyes, the work of the devil, or worse still, vegans. I'm not actually shamed to say it could potentially convert me (to autos, not vegan-ism). 

This is only actually the second automatic I've driven, the first was a DSG box, and I actually preferred the BMW's full auto box. The first couple of times I pulled away going from first to second was a little jerky until I got used to not having a clutch, then after that the drive was unbelievably smooth. It made me wonder why, when my journey into work was all traffic jams and motorways, didn't I already have an automatic? It just seems to make sense in a daily, especially as the project car is manual to still give me a fix on a weekend for driving a car with a man pedal.

320D M Engine bay

I did a bit of research into the car before the test drive and was surprised to find that it's 0-60 figure was only 7.9 sec. I was actually a little disappointed on the drive to the dealer, questioning whether trading in for a slower car was the right thing to do? Thing is, when driving the car, that figure didn't matter in the slightest. The car felt like it pulled really well and didn't feel that slow. In fact accelerating from 30 to around 60 or 70 I was impressed at how effortless it was. Comparing it to my hawkeye, the Impreza would have made a bigger show of it, louder and more attention grabbing, but if I'm honest, probably not much faster! Which is strange to say given how much faster it would manage 0-60. The BMW just felt like it pulled that well when rolling, and that specific range used for overtaking was where it did it best.

Taking it down some back roads
The car felt very much like it was designed for life in traffic and on the motorways, so I was pleasantly surprised that I seemed to rather enjoy a blast down the country lanes too. Being used to FWD at the moment, stepping into a RWD for the first time in a good couple of years, the car gave me confidence, it had grip for days! It was bone dry, but I got the impression that in the wet it would drop its business-like persona completely and be a totally different animal, a bit like that one mate, who has one pint too many and then gets lairy thinking he can fight the world.

Start stop button and radio.


In terms of finishing touches it didn't have quite as many as I expected from a German saloon. The start stop button was fun (yes, still a child at heart) but the radio was just, well.... normal!? The car was a couple of years old, but only a couple, so I kind of assumed there would be a screen or something, but alas not.  I suppose they are more an item for the luxury models rather than sports. Instead there were little M badges hidden all over the car, I kind of prefer them anyway. 

M badge

One of the most surprising things about the car for me, was how much Mrs 3ofdiamonds liked it. She was with me on the test drive and I genuinely think if I don't buy it she'll be trying to herself...



I was going to talk about potential mods I would do if I got the car at this point, but think I've wittered on for long enough, so maybe that's another entry?...




If you would like to laugh at my lack of progress in real time you can follow me on social sites by clicking the links below or search the @s :

Instagram   @3ofdiamonds_GTO


Twitter   @3ofdiamonds_GTO

Facebook   @3ofdiamondsGTO



No comments:

Post a Comment